Tuesday, August 24, 2010

U Jagušky part VI Stump Robber pork neck

Pařez loupežníka Buráska

This means Stump Robber Buráska. I think the stump is a reference to the wooden cutting board this dish comes on. I've never had a pork neck before, I was expecting it to be a little more fatty, and a lot more bony. There were no bones, and little exposed fat. However this was one of the most tender and flavorful pieces of pork I have ever had in my life. I hate to use the word because it's one of the most overused in food writing history, but it was succulent. In the translation of the Czech menu they call it natural pork neck, which may mean organic, or at least an heirloom breed of pig. I want this cut in the US, but I have never been able to find it.

The meat was very simply roasted with salt and pepper. The cut and meat is so good you really don't need to do anything else. The juices running into the circular crack around the cutting board were the best part, using some dark rustic Czech bread as a mop I greedily cleaned my plate. Of course the ever-present mustard and horseradish as accompaniment were a delicious counterpoint to the heavy meat and make great condiments. At 130 Kc this is a great filling and amazing meal.($6.50)(300g uncooked weight).

U Jagušky, will you ever stop pleasing me?

-NOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment