Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What Fast Food?

So about 3 months ago I decided that it was time to cut the clown out of my life. Well, I never really went to McDonalds anyways, but the concept was simple. I resolved to never eat fast food again in my life.

But how does one go about this in our age of constant over saturation of advertising? Every other street corner:


It's all tailored specifically to get you to look at it and to make you want it as much as possible. The colors red and yellow are supposed to make you hungry, so they load up the advertisements with those colors. look at those logos up there.
It's absolutely ridiculous how much advertising for fast food we endure on a daily basis. 


One of the most addictive substances on earth is salt. We go into withdrawl within hours of depleting the salt in our system. We also very quickly become acclimated to higher levels of salt in our food. Once you start eating higher salt levels in your food you ability to taste salt actually changes, and you it's hard to cut back.


Interestingly enough, when scientists look at the effects of consuming salt on the brain, specifically in the opioid receptors (the same part of the brain that heroin and opium effect) they see a dramatic effect within 10 minutes of eating the salt even though it takes more then 5 hours for that salt to make it to your large intestine where it is absorbed. This is why Fast Food jacks up the amount of salt in their food. since the effect starts hitting the brain as soon as you taste it, it gives you an almost immediate craving for these high salt processed foods which you can't get from whole foods. 


Believe me Fast Food Corporations know EXACTLY what they are doing, they spend millions every year on R&D and I think we can all agree they aren't spending that on "perfecting" the Mc Rib. They research every aspect of their brand and how they can make it attractive and addictive, both visually and through your body chemistry. It's a losing war against a $160 billion market.


My strategy? I pretend it doesn't exist. I refuse to look at or acknowledge the existence of fast food. When I drive around I purposely don't let myself even look at the logos. I use Netflix for my entertainment, so I never look at ads. I immediately throw away all of the crappy ads and coupons for fast food that arrive in the mail. I pointedly refuse to acknowledge that it exists. 


Since then I've been cooking at home a lot more. I have a brace of quick health meals that are easy to prepare and don't take much time. Plus, I mean, who really wants to eat this:


I'm sorry I didn't add any pictures to this post, I wish I had, then I could make some joke about me not even being able to see fast food anymore. So far it's been 3 months of not acknowledging the existence of fast food. And it's going pretty well. 

-NO NOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment