Friday, October 24, 2014

Recipe: Curry Jerked Goat Tacos

I know this is a recipe that a lot of you have been waiting for! Curry Jerked Goat Tacos.

I know someone who regularly buys and slaughters goats in the Madison area. He uses every scrap of meat and makes drums with the hide. Somehow I ended up with a big chunk of goat. This is an awesome position to be in.

Goat is tough sinuous, stringy, bony meat. This means it's absolutely packed with flavor, needs to be treated just right and can stand up to a lot of flavorings. In fact almost all of my favorite preparations for goat involve some type of curry.

This is a quick recipe and its super duper easy... as long as you have some goat.

Beef spareribs, brisket, shank or a leg of lamb would also be a great substitute if for some odd reason you don't know a drum maker from Ghana.


Marinade
3-4 lbs of goat meat cut into 1-2 inch chunks.
1 can of Coconut Milk
1/2 C Jerk Seasoning
1 T Jerk Curry Powder
Salt to taste

Garnish
2 yellow sweet plantains cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips.

I combine everything to be marinated in a zip-top bag for 48 hours before cooking. I want to give this all a lot of time to hang out and let the flavors get melded.

On the day of cooking I put everything including the marinade into a pot and just barely let it simmer on the stove for 3-4 hours. When the sauce starts thickening I added a lid and let it keep cooking. If it gets really thick you can add a few tablespoons of water.

After 3-4 hours your goat should be nice and tender. I chop it fine and mix it back in with your sauce. At this point I fry the plantains in canola or vegetable oil to give them a nice caramelized surface. I then slice them into 1/4 inch cubes and add to the curry.

Serve with corn tortillas. The coconut milk has now become sweet and creamy and the jerk and curry powders give a warm kick and a deep amount of island flavor.

This is far tastier then it is pretty!

-NOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment