Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Surrey's cafe and juice bar (New Orleans)

OK so this breakfast joint was about 2 blocks from the BnB we stayed in. It's proximity didn't bias us towards it. This delicious plate of awesomeness was the main culprit.

Unfortunately this is the only surviving picture from Surrey's. I ate a monstrous breakfast sandwich with sausage (7.50 on a bagel, 6.00 on toast), a huge plate of biscuits with their house made sausage gravy ($6.00). I drank their fresh squeezed juices. I enjoyed their eclectically designed tables, but unfortunately I was so excited... I forgot to take pictures. Bad blogger, bad bad blogger.

This soul surviving snapshot was taken by the wonderful Jessie as I scarfed my heavenly food with a Homer-Simpson-like glee. If I could only have one meal in the south it would undoubtedly be breakfast and probably be at Surrey's.


This is Shrimp and Grits ($12.50). Surrey's take on the classic shrimp and grits is billed as a "shrimp in a Louisianan style BBQ sauce over grits" This sauce was an incredible concoction which reminded me a lot of Shrimp Etouffee over grits with bacon garnish. A creamy, heavily spiced sauce with just a hint of sweetness made this plate of food probably my favorite in New Orleans. Yes even more then the mountain of fried seafood.

Plus when you garnish a plate with bacon, how can you go wrong?  
Go eat, be merry Surrey's café and juice bar  

- NOM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment